Veritas House Youth Refuge
The youth refuge is a 24 hour crisis service providing short term and emergency accommodation and support for young people between the ages of 16 and 24 years who are vulnerable, homeless or at risk of homelessness (subject to assessment). Veritas House is located in both Bathurst and Orange and offers referral services throughout the Bathurst, Oberon, Orange and Cabonne areas.
Veritas House operates from a strengths-based philosophy and is committed to empowering young people and creating opportunities for them to make informed choices about their lives. This may mean working with a young person to enhance their ability to live independently and /or to assist them to reconnect with their family and community.
What does the Youth Refuge provide?
- Veritas provides short term and emergency supported accommodation
- The refuge is a comfortable, clean, homelike environment, where young people can feel safe, supported and protected
- Our professional and caring youth workers are available 24 hours a day to assist young people
- Individualised case management is available to all young people accommodated within the service to assist with:
- Identifying immediate needs as well as long term goals
- Referral to independent housing
- Family mediation
- Assessment, advocacy and referral to specialised services
- Personal support
- Social / living skills education and programs
- Recreational activities
- Crisis intervention
- Work toward restoration and / or reconciliation with their families (where appropriate)
The Service is flexible and can support young people through a range of service delivery methods including case management, case work and casual assistance.
Veritas House Youth Outreach
The Veritas House Youth Outreach and Transitional Housing Programs support young people aged 16 to 24 years who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The service works with young people who require support whilst living at home or are living independently in the Bathurst area. The program aims to assist young people foster a sense of independence and learn the tools to live in the community and maintain a tenancy. The outreach service provides a focus on living skills programs to assist to break down the barriers young people face with accessing suitable accommodation and support services.
Our support to young people includes:
- Strengths-based case management
- Tenancy education
- Advocacy and referral
- Referral to specialist services
- Assistance to obtain government allowances
- Material aid
- Pregnancy and family planning support
- Living skills / personal development programs
- Recreational activities
- Home visiting
- Linkages with mental health and drug and alcohol services.
Veritas House Youth Outreach Service is funded by the NSW Department of Family and Community Services.
Transitional Youth Housing Program
Veritas House has forged solid partnerships with local community housing provider, Housing Plus, to provide four supported transitional youth flats. Veritas House Outreach nominates young people for the transitional housing program and supports these young people in their transitional accommodation. Housing Plus act as landlords for these properties. Veritas House also has one youth flat organised by the organisation and supported by outreach. The target group includes male and females aged 16 – 24 and priority includes young single mothers and their children, or expecting mothers. The outreach service is FREE.
Hours for referral purposes are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.00pm.
Veritas Youth Outreach is located at 106-108 Russell Street, Bathurst.
Bail Assistance Line
Veritas is funded by Juvenile Justice to provide a bed and safe supportive place to stay through the Bail Assistance Line in Central Western NSW. The Bail Assistance Line is an after-hours service for police who are considering granting conditional bail to a young person who is in their custody but who cannot be released as they cannot meet their bail conditions. To ensure young people are able to meet the conditions of their bail, Veritas House provides accommodation and case management support for young people in our Bathurst service, enabling them to await their court date within the community, rather than in a detention centre. The Bail Assistance Line program ensures young people receive the support they need to navigate their way through the legal system and reduce the risk of reoffending.